13 February 2016
Wind in power: 2015 European statistics
- 12,800 MW of wind power capacity was installed and grid-connected in the EU during 2015, an increase of 6.3% on 2014 installations.
- There is now 142 GW of installed wind energy capacity in the EU: approximately 131 GW onshore and 11 GW offshore.
- Wind power installed more than any other form of power generation in 2015 and it accounted for 44.2% of total 2015 power capacity installations.
- Wind energy has overtaken hydro as the third largest source of power generation in the EU with a 15.6% share of total power capacity.
- The total wind power capacity installed at the end of 2015 could produce 315 TWh and cover 11.4% of the EU electricity consumption in a normal wind year.
View the pdf